Thursday, December 18, 2008

Stressing over Garbage

Clearing out a client's office with them, particularly offices with lots of paper, can be an illuminating experience. Not so much for me, but for the clients.

Typically at the end of the day, we end up with several bags or boxes of recycling mostly paper. There are usually another couple of bags or boxes of garbage. Finally, there is an inevitable collection of material that belongs to other people in the company and will be distributed accordingly or taken to a supply/equipment/archive store room. The end result is a calm and organized work space the even feels more productive, 4 - 6 bags of recycling and garbage in the hallway and a stack of stuff that is doesn't belong in the client's office.

When clients are confronted with the debris in the hallway, the illumination begins; "I can't believe I was so stressed about so much stuff that turned out to be not worth keeping or not even belonging to me!" Bingo.

Take a look around your office. Cluttered? Messy? Paper got you stressed?

I highly recommend a clear out and overhaul. You may be surprised at how much stress you are spending on garbage.

1 comment:

Marcia Francois said...

Hi Carolyn

Your comment on my blog made me smile ;)

I definitely get what you're saying!

Anyway, I came to say hello and encourage you to enter the disorganised office competition if that's what you want :)